Friday, March 28, 2008

Genetic Testing

Welcome to the wonderful world of genetic testing or how I spent my Thursday morning.... Being a breast cancer survivor of 3 years now, I wasn't totally surprised that my oncologist and surgeon recommended genetic testing. They are concerned that my cancer developed when I was relatively young (39) and they want to make sure there isn't a genetic component........Hmm.... Anyway, my hubby and I spent about an hour and a half with the counselor discussing pros and cons and what a positive would mean. Future surgeries, etc along with drug therapies were talked about. Keep in mind, there is only a small chance that it is genetically related, but I talked myself out of the other breast during this whole process. Anyway, we decided we should go ahead with it so they took my blood, and the waiting game begins, again........2 to 3 weeks and we should know if there was a genetic component in my cancer and we go from there.......

No comments: