Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WHY?

Why do I let myself work in a public health environment where I can be treated so poorly by some patients? I was about in tears with one patient today. She could barely put a coherent thought together, and that took effort, and she was just plain and simple NOT NICE. I went to my DDS and told her I didn't deserve to be treated in that manner and she told me to get someone else.....Tick tock......Eventually my "manager/RDH" came in and was able to get some response from her........including a medlist which included Vicodin and antidepressants. The rest of her meds she "couldn't remember".

When all is said and done, what did this "emergency" patient need?? No caries were detected, no periapical pathology noted in the areas of concern, and she had some moderate periodontal disease. This beligerent, drugged out, emergency patient needed her teeth cleaned, period. I imagine she hoped for some additional drugs, but that was not happening.....

Thanks for all the backup support from the rest of the staff. It really made my day-HA! :(
Another reason I so enjoy practicing after 2o some years......

1 comment:

shawn said...

Well.. if it makes you feel better.. it's not just public health.. I mean.. really... and when it's not PH, well then you can't just tell them off.. they MIGHT be "friends" of the DDS
I am sorry that your day sucked... tomorrow will be better!!!