Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Nephew Turns 18

I had a nice long talk with my soon to be 18 yr old nephew yesterday. He has turned into a remarkable young man. He called to thank me for his birthday money. We ended up talking about soooo many things. We hit the Star Trek XI movie, because he knows I am a total geek. We talked about prom and girlfriends. He wanted to know any good stories I had about his younger siblings (he is in Texas and misses out). We also talked politics for quite awhile and he had some pretty definitive viewpoints on all the current possible choices. We spent a while talking about Obama, Hilary, and John McCain. He doesn't know who he is going to vote for or if......It took a couple of minutes for it to click in before I realized that it will truly be the first time he is able to vote!!!!!!!! We had to talk about that for awhile, too. I'm hoping as seriously as he is taking it that he will take advantage of the opportunity and vote...I think he will. We also ended up talking about tv shows and their merits. We had a long conversation about the last episode of "The Sopranos" and what we thought about it and the whole last season of it. We also talked about "South Park" and "The Family Guy". We switched topics to his college choices and talked basketball and his summer plans....It was a great conversation!! I was almost in tears explaining it to my hubby. He was a typical guy and didn't get it. Here I am in tears again, just thinking about this "little" boy who I adored from when he was born turning into this very dynamic, interesting young man. Time flies!! I am blessed to be a part, albeit a small one, of his life.

1 comment:

shawn said...

Yeah, he sounds like he turned into a great guy! I am sure that his parents are happy with him! I know that they trust him and think that he is pretty cool too.
I am impressed about the voting and politics conversation! Where did he say he wants to go to college??